- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson was pictured putting his foot up on a table in the Élysée Palace during a meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday.
- People on social media called Johnson “rude,” “entitled,” and “embarrassing.”
- However, a video of the moment suggested the two leaders were joking with each other.
- During the meeting, the two leaders discussed the UK’s exit from the European Union.
- Macron dismissed Johnson’s demand for a fundamental renegotiation of Britain’s Brexit deal.
- Visit Business Insider’s home page for more stories.
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson was labeled “rude” and “embarrassing” after he was pictured putting his foot up on a table in the Élysée Palace during a meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday.
In the meeting between the two leaders, Macron ruled out a fundamental renegotiation of the United Kingdom’s Brexit deal.
Johnson’s biographer Sonia Purnell was among the people on social media criticizing Johnson’s posture in the picture.
“Rude and embarrassing,” Purnell tweeted. “Imagine if Macron put his foot on the table at Buckingham Palace.”
The Sun newspaper’s political editor, Tom Newton Dunn, described Johnson as “manspreading,” adding: “That should win Manu round.”
However, a video that emerged later appeared to show the two leaders joking about using the table as a footstool.
Some on social media called Johnson’s behavior “entitled” and “unbelievable.”
However, the Brexit campaigner Darren Grimes suggested the photo was a sign of Johnson’s strength in talks with the European Union.
Our Brexit Insider Facebook group is the best place for up-to-date news and analysis about Britain’s departure from the EU, direct from Business Insider’s political reporters. Join here.